Thursday, October 30, 2014

Let's get physical...


I started getting obsessed with weight loss on my last year in college.  It came to a point that I'd have headaches everyday because I seldomly ate something.  My lightest was 118 lbs.  For someone who's 5'7'', that's THIN!  I continued on this obsession even after college.  Looking back, I now realize that I was really anorexic!  I was neither healthy nor fit.  Bad eating habits gave me acid reflux leading to gas.  After just 10-15 mins of whatever physical activity or sport, I'd be panting like hell!  I only gave in to exercise when I got extremely fat, which occurred after my 2 pregnancies.  But I'd stop again when I already achieved my desired weight and go back to my anorexic ways.



After my 2nd chemo session, I read that exercise helps in my overall well-being.  That's when I started using the Kinect for dancing, boxing, and table tennis :)  When I started dancing, EVERYTHING ached within one song.  I was told not to push or stress myself too much but I was stubborn and pushed myself every single day.  Day after day I'd add one more song, then another, and another until I realized I was dancing an average of 45 minutes a day with less aches, less panting, and a LOOOOT of sweat!  I felt great!  Some days I'd do boxing and table tennis but I really loved dancing.  In May, our unit in Azure was turned over so we had access to the swimming pool.  This time around, I started with 400 meters, working my way up to 800 meters.  After this, we got into badminton.  I finally gave in to it.  I was so surprised and proud of myself that I can last for 2 hours (with some 10 minute water and chit chat breaks of course!) of badminton.  At almost 180 lbs. and undergoing chemo, I was healthier and more fit than when I was thin and not sick.  I veered away from these activities in the past coz I knew I didn't have the energy or endurance for it.  I'd do some cycling, hiking, surfing, etc from time to time but it was more of will power rather than strength that got me through those, hahaha!





I've been lucky enough to have energy before, during, and after chemo.  I still wanted to live my life (within reason) even if I was undergoing treatment.  I went to the mall, walked the dogs, ate out, hung out with friends, etc.  My loved ones were very supportive but were very keen on reminding me to just stay away from stress, take it easy, and be happy.  BUT of course there were the BAD days.  These bad days are what I call the dreaded 6th day.  After chemo, I'm given oral steroids that I take for 5 days to ease the side effects.  So, on the 6th-8th day, that's when I "crash".  This is when I start getting bloated.  Sometimes I feel this terrible heartburn for an entire day or this heavy feeling on my chest like a hollow block was placed on top of it that it gets so hard to breath.  On some occasions, it feels like I got hit by a bus, everything just aches for no apparent reason.  I can't even sleep it off coz lying down makes it heavier or ache even more.  Then, on top of all the physical aches and pains, comes the depression.  It's okay coz it's usually gone after a day, or two, or, okay 3 days tops.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment